Search

Chlorhexidine 2% for Horses & Dogs, One Gallon
Chlorhexidine 2% for Horses & Dogs, One Gallon
Manufacturer : Durvet
Amazon Price : $13.19
buy from amazon.com
Avg. Customer Rating:4.5 of 5.0
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours Ships from and sold by Amazon.com
Product Description
BCI - 698408
Product Details
  • Amazon Sales Rank: #3916 in Pet Products
  • Size: 1 gallon
  • Color: Blue
  • Brand: Durvet
  • Model: 001 0259
  • Number of items: 1
  • Dimensions: 12.00" h x 6.00" w x 6.00" l, 8.46 pounds
  • Product Features
  • This item is a Chlorhexidine 2% for Horses & Dogs, One Gallon
  • Purpose of use for Farming, Horse Care Equipment
  • This product is manufactured in United States
  • Customer Reviews

    Most helpful customer reviews

    12 of 12 people found the following review helpful.
    5Great for cleansing dogs for diaper changes
    By D. D.
    Chlorhexidine is an antiseptic used primarily for skin infections caused by bacteria and fungi (yeast). It is active against gram-positive and gram-negative organisms such as Staph, Strep, E. coli, Listeria and yeast. At higher concentrations chlorhexidine is a bactericide (kills bacteria); at low concentrations it is used at a bacteriostat (stops bacteria from reproducing, while not necessarily killing them). The higher the concentration, the less contact time needed to kill bacteria. So depending on its use, you may not need to dilute.

    Please do your research and/or check with your vet before taking anyone’s advice.

    IMO, 4% chlorhexidine is better if you have a dog battling a stubborn skin infection such as pyoderma but 2% can be used after the infection has cleared to keep it under control. I use the 2% both straight and dilute for diaper changes.

    I did some research and for human use, it is suggested to dilute to 0.5% for vaginal area cleansing so I checked with my vet and he confirmed that a dog's prepuce is the same sensitivity, so I dilute to 0.5% and use on baby wipes to clean my elderly male dog for diaper changes. I spritz a little bit full strength 2% on a poise pad that I use as a diaper to act as bacteriostat for my dog with chronic UTI (since it soaks into the pad, it doesn’t irritate him).

    My dog had pyoderma and I found better results using 4% chlorhexidine shampoo. I bathed every day for the first week, then every other day the second week, now 2-3 times per week and I have seen good results. With the 4% shampoo, I only needed to leave it on a few minutes; with the 2% shampoo, I needed to leave it on 8-10 minutes which can be frustrating and very cold, especially for my 19 year old dog. I also wash/bleach bedding in between bathing. I also use 4% chlorhexidine spray once a day on the days he doesn't get a bath. Make sure not to get chlorhexidine at any strength in eyes and ears and that includes your own eyes when bathing (when the dog shakes it got in my eyes so now I wear my glasses). Also, don't apply anything higher than 0.5% directly to genital area or prepuce (male dogs).

    It is best to dilute with distilled water since some municipal water can have contaminants.

    For 0.5% solution:
    1 part 2% chlorhexidine to 3 parts distilled water
    (1 oz 2% chlorhexidine added to 3 oz distilled water to make 4 oz)

    17 of 18 people found the following review helpful.
    3Treating Shell Rot on Turtles, Don't soak them just spot treat. Will make them sick even id diluted to less than 1%
    By GIBBS411
    Well, It made my turtle really sick after soaking him in a duilited bath for 15 minutes as i was told online would help treat shell rot. Anyways, I think it help the shell infection, but it was really scary there for a while. My turtles eyes swelled shut and stayed that way for 5 days. (I put ointment on to help them heal faster) There are no vet in the state of Utah that will treat a turtle that i can find and i bought him before moving here. So online is my best source of help. My Turtle also through-up after this treatment. I would only recommended spot treating the shell after what i went through. it has been a week and he still hasn't eaten. He will once his eyes are better. I learned after the fact that this is the same as vets use, but they have some without alcohol added which would be easier on a turtle. Hope this helps someone.

    38 of 38 people found the following review helpful.
    5The exact same as what we use at the vet clinic
    By SJR
    This is the exact same bottle that we use at the vet clinic where I work, and this is for a cheaper price. Perfect for all wounds needing a good antibacterial/antifungal soak or flush.
    Always remember to rinse well and DO NOT GET IN EYES as it will cause eye ulcers! :)

    See all 191 customer reviews...